After a spinal surgery, it is a norm that your children may experience pain. Usually, surgeons, like spine doctor in Austin, Texas may give medicines in order to manage and alleviate the pain. Moreover, children may go back doing their usual habit after the span of 3 to 6 weeks time.
However, it takes about 6 to 12 months before your children fully recover. At this point, your children demand for lots of support from you. So, as a child proofing tips, you really need to allot more of your time and your attention to them.
Caring for Your Kids at Home
Here are some ideas that you might consider in order to help your children in their recovery stage. However, remember that children’s recovery are different from each other. You just need to follow these tips to let them feel better as soon as possible.
Caring for your kids when it comes to their activities
* Let your children get enough sleep and rest. This will make them recover faster.
* Consult your children’s surgeon about taking a bath or a shower after the surgery before allowing them to do so.
* Allow them to walk little by little. Walking enhances the blood flow and helps to avoid constipation and pneumonia.
* Do not let your child to play games that require running or to ride a bike for around 6 to 9 months or until such time that the doctor gives an approval.
* Ensure that your children are not engaging in any lifting activities that are straining until they are fully recovered.
Caring for your kids when it comes to their diet
* A normal diet will do for your kids. However, in case they got an upset stomach, give them bland, low-fat foods.
* Let your child drink lots of water.
* Changes in the bowel movement of your kids after surgery is normal. But, you may seek the doctor’s advice once they had no bowel activities after a couple of days.
Caring for your kids when it comes to their medicines
* The doctor will give the instructions about the schedule and mode of medicine intake. Give it as instructed.
* In case, the medicine causes stomach upset to your kids, better to give it after meals. Or, ask the doctor to give other medications.
Caring for your kids incision
* Daily washing of the stitches with warm and soapy water is recommended.
* It is highly recommended to change the bandage daily
* Maintain the cleanliness and dryness of the area.
Stiches may be removed by the surgeon after a few days. However, there are stitches that can be dissolved in the body. If that’s the case, your children won’t need to go back to the doctor to have it removed.